Saturday 3 May 2014

1. In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


Music Video

For my media product I chose a song called ‘o.g Loko’ by a band called ‘Of Mice & Men’ that comes under the metal genre, this was to be the genre that I focus on when researching, producing my video and finally designing and making my ancillary texts therefore when creating my music video I knew that I wanted to challenge and break the conventions of my chosen genre because this would make it different from all of the other real media products but at the same time still make it represent the metal genre that I had chosen. When researching into existing products from the genre it was clear that the majority had a live performance element to the video alongside a narrative story however because most bands where doing this I decided to make a live video of montage shots stitched together alongside an abstract narrative using paint that would tell the story of the lyrics, in a way that would leave the viewer having to decipher it in their own way and creating their own personal response to the video, this breaks the conventions and challenges the forms and conventions of existing media products.

 The song itself didn't follow a common theme of its genre and because of the ‘boy meets girl’ element that would usually be found in the R&B genre, this is also another reason that I wanted to break certain conventions because if the song does, it seemed like a good idea to make a video that also did that but in a way that wouldn't make it similar to R&B videos so I decided to combine elements of many genres into one and create an entirely new product that wouldn't conform to traditional metal music videos, but at the same time I wanted people to know what genre It was by keeping certain similarities in there, such as cinematography (canted angles, close up’s, establishing shots, zooms, pans) and editing (fast paced cuts) elements I wanted to ensure that I created the same fast paced vibe that is always common in essentially all metal videos.

I did this by using canted angles, to add obscurity to the video, zooms that give an element of the environment before focusing on the character and close ups that really give off the aggression and emotion put into the music that is always present in this genre, then to back this up I edited the shots in a fast paced way that meant the song built up an atmosphere and represented the genre like other videos such as Bury Tomorrow’s recent video for ‘Man On Fire’

 In ways I believe that I have changed and developed many conventions of this genre as well, this is because the colour of my video is different to that of modern day videos due to the fact that I have decided to make the whole video black and white much like older videos such as Motley Crue’s ‘Kick-start My Heart’ Video released many decades ago, this element is also seen in many modern day videos such as  Bury Tomorrow’s ‘Scepters’ and The 1975’s ‘Girls’ and although this isn't a metal video it shows that Black and White videos are becoming increasing popular in the modern music scene regardless of what the genre is and it further proves that not only have I challenged modern day metal conventions but also genre conventions because black and white is largely seen in other genres by artists such as Beyoncé and Justine Timberlake and rarely seen in Metal videos.

Furthermore there are a lot of real media texts that lip sync in their videos however, I chose not to do so because I wanted to create a sense of realism and capture the band as they were, rather than have them act out the way I wanted them to and by doing this I gave an element of what they band are actually like when they perform and practice, although all of my shots are of the band playing my chosen song, I felt it would be more effective to edit this way because it challenges conventions of existing media products and creates a new media product that not only conforms to existing conventions but also challenges and changes them at the same time.

Ancillary Texts
When It came to ancillary texts I wanted to create a product that used conventions and created continuity throughout my DigiPak that could link in with my video in some way, much like artists such as Blessthefall do in their most recent album ‘Hollow Bodies’ were they have similar images throughout the Digipak, poster and even in their video for ‘You Wear a Crown But You’re No king’. I did this by taking abstract shots during the abstract filming and I used these photos alongside some scenery shots that I had taken in order to create something new and exciting that would not only link into my other products but challenge them too, this was done by overlapping two images as well as changing the opacity and when doing this I took much inspiration from artists such as Blessthefall and I Killed The Prom Queen, both of whom are metal artists.




Furthermore unlike other genres, the metal genre doesn’t have a house style font and it is always changing depending on the artist, therefore I didn’t have to conform to any specific conventions and had a lot of leeway when it came to choosing my font, however I decided to go with a simple font that is not usually conventional of this genre and certainly wouldn’t represent the genre if I were a consumer picking up the album not knowing who it was or what genre it came from which is where I have challenged conventions but it is common in many modern day media products and is becoming increasingly popular because they are drifting away from typical stereotypes which can link to Tessa Perkins ‘Stereotypes’ theory (1979) because she suggested that stereotypes are hard to break which is true because from research people still view the genre as dark and evil yet media products in the modern music scene suggest otherwise.




I Killed The Prom Queen and Blessthefall's recent studio albums that I took much inspiration from when creating my own media products, can link to Stuart Halls 'Encoding/Decoding' theory of 1973 because I wanted my product to give off a sense of the messsage I was hoping to give off in my song in a way that meant the consumer would have to decode the message in their own way.





When creating my poster I knew that I wanted to create a promotional album release tour that would combine elements of both my digipak and video into one therefore when researching I took large amounts of inspiration form a variety of genres and combined them all into one, this created a product that was different and in some ways challenged the conventions because a lot of bands these days have pictures of the band on the tour poster whereas on mine I have chosen to have images that represent the album and directly link to it however I have used more traditional conventions such as the use of promoting the band through social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter but one that was rarely seen was the use of offering a location where people coming to the tour could purchase the album so I added an ITunes logo on their that tells people where the album is available to buy. Moreover I noticed that the majority of promotional tour posters had portrait images therefore I decided to combine both a Landscape and portrait image into my ancillary texts and with the use of the opacity tool on Photoshop I could                                                                             blend one another so that both images where able to be seen.





No comments:

Post a Comment